Thursday, July 08, 2004

PURPOSE DRIVEN JAC 6

Chapter Six: How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?

This chapter disturbed me so much I almost decided to discontinue with the book. No wonder some of the ones who read it wanted to quit their jobs and volunteer as a missionary in Africa and shit! This chapter said we're actually ambassadors in an enemy country and that we shouldn't be tempted by life's different philosophies and betray God. It said that we should be like the martyrs who suffered all through life because they'll get their rewards in the afterlife.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't believe we all should be martyrs. I don't believe enjoying life is a sin. We are not here JUST to serve God by being martyrs or by suffering. We are here because he created this world we're living in for us and it is our job to take care of it. This is NOT enemy country. It IS our home. He made this home for us. I'll be danged if I allow this earthly life to be called 'theirs'. This may not be heaven, but this sure ain't hell! This is life. This is where angels get masteral degrees and this is where devils can get a completion grade!

Life is transient yes, I agree with that. Life is part of a learning stage, yes! I agree with that! But we don't suffer in life because we're hoping to be rewarded in death.

We live this life and do what is right for the betterment of this place. Our ultimate goal is not merely to serve God like a servant would to its master. We help God bring heaven on earth. This may sound impossible. It may even be that it will never happen. But I'll live this life the best I can, being as happy as I can, and even make others happy, if I can. Because that's what heaven is. A place where we can share God's joy in His creations.

And if we aim to live doing what's right, for the benefit of all, then I believe we'll get there. I believe we can live in heaven without having to die after suffering and sacrificing to do good.

What I have just said may be controversial, but this is what I believe. If you believe otherwise, come and try to change my mind :) it might be fun.

No comments: